Monday, October 10, 2011

I had an amazing opportunity this week and I am so grateful to my parents for being here so I could go!! Right before my surgery, Abigail's hearing teacher invited me to go see Rachel Coleman (creator of signing time) with her but it was 5 days after surgery so I was not able to go. I was so upset and felt like I had missed a huge opportunity to see her and to hear her. So Monday I got a call from Amanda saying that Rachel Coleman was doing a conference in downtown Sacramento at the State Education Building and she could bring someone and that I was the first person that she thought of. I was beyond excited for the chance to go and see her. It was so amazing. They had deaf and hard of hearing kids from the San Juan Unified School District do a little presentation and it was so incredible to see older kids that have the same things that Abigail has and to see them succeed and be in the world and be so smart and good at everything. It gives me so much hope for my little girl and that there is help out there.

Then Rachel Coleman spoke and her story is truly amazing and inspiring. To take a disability and make it so much easier for the rest of us to help our deaf children is so awesome. She told her story beginning to end and it was amazing to hear how hard she fought for Leah and made it that much better for everyone after her. Things are still not the greatest but they are a whole lot better now than it was. Her story is truly inspiring and amazing and I am so grateful for the experience and I hope that I can be as good of mom to mine as she is to hers. I will never forget that experience!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

OH MY GOSH! I am so jealous but so happy you got to meet Rachel! That is awesome!!

Stephanie Young said...

Why be jealous? This is exactly what you and Leo need to help Abigail. I am grateful that they thought of you first to experience something that is going to help you be a better parent and learning tool for Abigail. Abby is such a gift from heaven and I am thankful that you have her.